Wednesday, June 18, 2008

my temporary residence.

I made it.

Currently, I sit on my friend Houston's bed, the bed I was able to sleep in, while he graciously slumbered on the floor. I have seen what will be my home for the next five weeks, but a bed has yet to arrive.

My heart got giddy when I heard the planes wheels being let down before landing. I think it was as much excitement over the freaking long plane ride being over as anything else. Walking off of the plane I wandered through the airport like some confused foreigner who didn't know what to do next. Perhaps because I was (and am) one. So I followed everyone else, as if I did know what I was doing, and I laughed at myself and the entertainment brought forth from my cultural stupidity.

There are tall buildings and vegetable gardens on corner lots in the middle of a city and crazy drivers and bright florescent lights lighting the overcrowded sidewalks from the overcrowded stores crammed with merchandise meant to preserve image, as I am told that is an important part of the society I find myself in.

My first adventure of the day shall be a visit to the Lote Mart, to purchase some food to fill my fridge so that I will not starve. There are actually ventilated cages at this fine Wal-Mart like establishment for those interested in bringing their pets to the grocery store. I will also purchase some incredibly beautiful fresh raspberries that I passed on the sidewalk last night, in the midst of that my-body-may-shut-down-at-any-moment feeling, due to the nature of time, and the fact that it was nine in the evening here, but seven in the morning where my body knew it should be.

Right now, my heart is thankful for a friend to show me the ropes, and the fact that there are not coffee timers going off about every thirty minutes reminding me to re-brew, and also the challenge of having to figure a few things out on my own.

2 comments:

m@ said...

Yea! I am really excited for you. You're making me want to revisit Asia. Hope all goes well.

sweet housewife said...

sis-i am so glad you made it ok. sounds like so far, so good! i am excited to continue to read about your journey; it makes you seem so close! love you!