Thursday, June 19, 2008

a full day.

From one apartment to another, it's about a thirty minute walk with nothing in one's hands.

With two hands full of clothes and a computer and cleaning supplies that will hopefully make apartment #2 inhabitable, it's longer.

With two hands full of said stuff, and upon nearing one's arrival to said apartment, getting all turned around (a kind way of saying lost) because all of the damn apartment buildings look the same to you, and because the only other time you saw it was after being awake for an extended amount of time due to a fly over the ocean, the walk becomes more of a journey.

My walk today was a journey, and it was funny and frustrating and practically tear inducing and fantastic. I called my friend after steeling someone's internet in order to down load skype so that I could make the call before Baxter began to nap. I found the school, then a teacher, who helped me find my previous mentioned-at-the-time-bedless-apartment. And then I at a sandwich and drank about four gallons of water and sat down, and smiled.

The Lote-Mart was a much easier find, but the confidence I had during my walk vanished when I began to wander the isles. Choosing tea has never been so difficult, as the description was (fittingly and appropriately) in Korean. I was afraid to separate the bananas from their bushel, and temporarily contemplated purchasing fifteen. Then I realized that was silly and used gestures to ask permission. Help arrived from the produce weigher that puts a little sticker on all of your weighable purchases. Finding wheat bread was like trying to find vegetarian friendly fare in a hole-in-the-wall barbeque joint known for it's ribs. But as the vegetarians find the french fries, I found a straggling loaf in the midst of all the bright white bread. I looked like a lost puppy dog, but I did it, and now I have food, and a rug to set outside my bathroom so as to not track water all over my clean floor, and some adventurous looking milk made from black beans.

The highlight of the day was a hot, healthy, cheap Korean meal, eaten in good company with the use chop-sticks when appropriate...followed by a surprisingly delicious green tea ice cream cone, and shortly, sleep on the bed that arrived today, with a different flower print on every linen. A photo, for your viewing pleasure:




Writer's note: Hope you enoy reading, because every time something crazy or contrastingly mundane happens, I think to myself, "I can write about this!" So there you go...a possibility of frequent notes for you about what I look like in this place.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Renee Terese said...

who's berto? but anyway...

i am thrilled to be reading these, and also:
the fact that you've already ventured through this thursday and are now probably getting ready for bed, gives me a strange courage to face this day (it's not even noon here!) knowing that the day has been successful!

sweet housewife said...

i admire your braveness and curiosity, yet your longing to stick to familiar products from what you know back home. and the linens. . . guess they could be worse!? love you

Esther said...

more picture more pictures! can't wait for school to start. remember that you can visit my familia if you want to!