Tuesday, June 24, 2008

a list of some things.

I have spent many years apologizing too much. I am learning to do that less by not apologizing when I bump into someone here. They do not apologize or move out of the way, not because of their rudeness, but because they are not bothered by being bumped into.

I have started flossing again.

My apartment floor that is attempting the appearance of wood, but is actually so sort of plastic material, is the perfect surface for the practicing of push-ups.

I made eggs for the first time, possibly ever, without the use of salt and pepper a few days past.

After neglecting to use the air conditioning in my large Oklahoma house prior to arrival here, the air conditioning of a one room apartment is absolutely, insanely cold. It is free to me, though I find little use in its use.

Black bean milk is quite delicious.

This place is also referred to as "The Land of the Morning Calm". My life is fittingly very calm here, most times of the day.

The children I teach have guessed that I am from Australia, Mexico, and Canada. They seem a little disappointed when I draw the map of the US, and show them the state of Oklahoma.

I miss my oven. I googled a recipe for stove-top brownies, and came up with only one possibility, requiring the use of a cast iron skillet. I have neither an oven or a cast iron skillet. I am out of brownie luck.

The culture does not promote the use of a "bless you" after a sneeze. When I sneeze, I am left to deal with that tingling feeling in my nose all alone.

Words from music, gifted to me as well as purchased digitally, including Belle and Sebastian, The Shins, Bon Iver, Fleet Foxes, and David Gray, have temporarily replaced the voices of my roommates living in my house with the pro-conversation front porch, envied by many neighbors.

I have access to the roof of my apartment, and it's a lovely place to visit on a breezy June evening.

I am glad I came.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

me too. dinner tomorrow? my place? some non avian-flu chicken? and wine?

Esther said...

love the list of forgotten feelings and thoughts that I experienced as well! lol, loveit. you will have to start collecting thoughts for list #2.

the government provided us with an oven when there was only a few months left- and eh hem- if you don't know anyone with an oven, my aunt has one in cheonan ;) the next problem is finding all the right ingredients

Lori said...

Meredith!
I miss you! It feels like we're going thru this with you from afar, just by reading your thots. If I can help by sending ingredients for brownies just let me know. Lori

sweet housewife said...

oh i do hope you find a way to make brownies. . 5 weeks is long without them. imagine the torcher. . :-)