Thursday, August 14, 2008

(un)salt(ed).

I bought salt quite a while ago. It was sometime within my first two weeks here, which could also be looked at as "The time that Meredith was still a little afraid of the grocery store". I have since moved to the "Meredith is so lazy she must be dragged to the grocery store" phase, but that's not really the point at all. Salt. I decided I didn't want my eggs to live without their iodized companion, so I went in search of the famous couple throughout history, salt and pepper. Pepper was a cinch. It said "pepper" in English on the container, which helped. Salt proved to be the dysfunctional one in the relationship. There were too many clear containers of dry substances in the form of crystal white specks. I asked for help, and though the ladies that take so much pride in their designated spice isle tried, their attempt at help only confused me more, as I had no idea what they were saying, and the other way too. I trusted my instincts, my first guess when presented with multiple choices, and then I got the heck out of there. And I am happy to report that my eggs have been delicious! They have a distinct flavor that I have not been able to quite determine, but are seriously the best eggs I have ever taken the time to prepare.

A few days ago, when Hyerin and I were preparing to bake the most delicious peach pie ever, a few ingredients had to be attained. "Check salt off the list," I told her, as I knew I had plenty. Fast forward to preparing portion of the story. We get to the part in the recipe that asks for salt, and I point to her that it's in the cabinet, "next to the pepper". She returns with my clear container full of a substance in the form of crystal white specks, and she kindly informs me that it's not salt.

What's great about all of this food confusion is that the grocery store didn't sell unsalted butter, so we had to use salted, which meant we didn't need salt for our pie. Great outcome number two is the fact that I found out the reason why my eggs were so freaking fantastic, and the reason was something I didn't mean to do.

I just love it when things accidently turn out so much better than you had expected.


The 
clear
container 
with 
the 
red 
lid 
is 
the 
not-salt 
substance.

2 comments:

Lori said...

I love it when you talk about food:)

Unknown said...

so what was the not-salt substance?