Wednesday, August 6, 2008

arbitrary fangs.

I am sometimes grocery shopping lazy. I will run five miles, but find a way to talk myself out of a ten minute walk to purchase the things that are essential for my survival. I think I hit a record the other day for rationing. I can be cunning, and ingenious, when dealing with peanut putter, one piece of bread, and three ounces of milk. Why do I put myself through this torture?

On Monday, I was hungry, food-less, and craving Korean. I wandered for kimbap at the time in the afternoon when most people are craving the nap because of the lunch they had eaten two hours ago. It was quiet, and for a time, I was their only customer. It was me, the two ladies running the show, and the television screen blasting an episode of crazies, combining the film "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon", and episode of the Power Rangers, and finally, "The Sword and the Stone". It was all in Korean, so I had no idea what was going on, but when I saw the fanged Asian with a red viking type hat atop his head coming out to pummel his opponent, I knew I should expect to see it up for some major awards sometime soon.

I have less than twenty three days in this country. I have learned more about myself and how I deal with relationships than have about the culture that surrounds me. I think that may make me a narcissist, and also remind me to stop making everything so complicated, breathe in, imagine myself pummeling the red hatted Asian Viking, breathe out, and simply, purely enjoy the days before me while I am able.

1 comment:

m@ said...

brilliant post.