Thursday, August 28, 2008

a goodbye of sorts.

I debated on doing a "final post from Korea", as it's a bit cliche. And I don't necessarily want people to think I am cliche. 

But if I have learned anything from being here in Korea, it's the freedom in making choices regardless of the judgement of others. 

So there you go. It's my last post from The Land of the Morning Calm. It's cliche. And I am doing it anyway. 

This shall be a few long sentence fragments, because, again, I want to, regardless of the judgement of others, and also, because I am no longer an English teacher...

The gardens that line the streets, the pungent smells, a deeper understanding of the commonality of human beings regardless of surface differences, and the image of chili peppers drying on a piece of cardboard in the middle of the street. A larger circle of friends and acquaintances that I am hoping will provide a deeper character base for any of the books I plan to write in my lifetime, more confidence to just do it (whatever it may be), a love of Korean food, of the spice and the flavor and the freshness...And the way it will effect my cooking for years to come...a more open mind, and a deeper sense of self, more strength in already existing friendships, and a new layer to add to the lens that I view my life from.

Here is to change, and leaving what has become familiar to return to that which was. To culture shock and jet lag and longing that comes from exposing oneself to something or someplace wonderful, and then abruptly walking away. 

I sometimes, or rather, I often wonder what it is I am doing with my life. I think that I am living it.