Saturday, August 2, 2008

markers.

Today marks the first time in six years that I have ran six days in a row. Golly gee, it feels good. Today was the first time since I lived in Florida that I undertook an over five mile run. That feels good too. And in all honesty, it's the first time in my life that I have embraced running with no ulterior motives. I am not trying to lose weight, I am not training for a race, and I am not trying to counter act depression; I am just running. A few things that happened to me on my run today:

-I passed over two snake-length worms. That did not feel good.
-I noticed that the Seven-Eleven that I wrote about in one of my previous posts took the Hello Kitty decal down from their window.
-I almost died while running through the underground tunnel. How? I was nearly run over by three ten year olds on bicycles.

And one more marker: Last night marked the first time since I have been in Korea that I have gone without ice cream for, like, five days in a row. I had to fix that. When it's an occasion, it merits a trip to Baskin Robbins. I usually go for my all time favorite, cookies and cream. Thats what I was feeling when I arrived BUT, nestled next to the tried and true was a container of lemon cream cheesecake loaded with rich cherry swirls. It was so colorful and beautiful. I actually think I heard one of the cherry swirls calling my name. I faced a dilemma. I really wanted the lemon, but would I get it, taste it, and then wish I would have gotten its neighbor? How could I be sure? Was I willing to pay for two ice cream cones? Did I even bring enough money? If I got the cookies and cream, would I be frustrated at myself for being afraid to try something new? Would I always regret not branching out when faced with the opportunity?

Let me just say: it had chunks of cheesecake, the cream was amazing, I had forgotten how much I love lemon, and the cherries - my God - the cherries. Cookies and cream was the farthest thing from my mind.

1 comment:

sweet housewife said...

lemon. . . an absolute all time fave. i'm glad you made that choice. i like to picture myself there enjoying it with you!