Tuesday, July 22, 2008

pot cooking.

Upon arrival in this grand country, I was granted the use of a few necessities. A bowl, plate, fork, knife and spoon...and also a pot, for all of my various cooking endeavors. Throughout my days here, I have stuck to using just this pot. If I want to cook two things at a time, I have to decide which would be better less hot, cook that first, clean the pot, and then cook its pairing. 

Do not pity me, however. I could easily purchase a pan or skillet at Lottemart. I was just there last night. Thirteen dollars and I could make a four course meal. But I don't want to dip into my ice cream fund to pay for the new pan, as the pot is a (free) loaner. And I have actually enjoyed the challenge of figuring the best way to make toast in a pot whose base is smaller than the slice of bread. When I wake up in the morning, I am not in want for anything material. 

So, in random order, here are a few of the things that have graced the base of my reddish pot that I am sure I will grow to miss once I return, well, home. 

Pancakes. When pairing them with eggs, the pancakes are made first. Choosing which to cook first was a difficult decision, but the outcome was delightful. The real challenge is the awkwardness of the spatula, and scooping it at the right angle in relation to the depth of the pan, so as to not fold the pancake in half instead of flip it. Folded pancakes are so disappointing to me. 

Scrambled eggs. Easy enough. Though greasing of the pot is essential, as they like to climb the sides. 

Cheese Omelette. The key here is to not use too many eggs. Otherwise it's more like a quiche that's not bendable.

Toast. As mentioned before, the pan is smaller than the bread, which makes for an awkward distribution of heat. The challenge is sliding it around in the appropriate times increments so as to get the most even browning of bread possible. 

Grilled cheese sandwich. Same challenge as toast, multiplied by two, with the added flip difficulty I talked about with the pancakes. 

Hot tea. No real trouble here. 

Curry Soup. When making this, the pot is actually in it's element. Everyone's happy.

 

1 comment:

Lori said...

I bet everything in more "tasty" this way! It's so much more appreciated because of the effort, time and energy put into it.