Thursday, July 10, 2008

liquidity.

I was thinking a minute ago that this would be a cool thing to write about. Now I am thinking I am bored and it's actually not worth the time it will take to write. But for most writers there is crap amongst the good stuff, so there you go. Proceed to find potential crap. 

I do not wear a watch. I suppose knowing what time it is has its benefits, but the ones I buy usually break, and when I take them off I don't miss them, which begged the question, "what's the point?"

I was thinking today that it would be fun, based on the tendency of people to form behavioral patterns in their life, to tell time based on something arbitrary and less dependable than a watch. 

Here in Korea America, the hours of my day can be segmented into which liquid I am drinking. 

Water doesn't count, as it's consumed at all times. It's a constant, the half hour that exists within every hour of our days.

In the mornings, existing anywhere from nine am to eleven, I usually have bran flakes, which means there is usually some kind of liquid allowing the flakes to float. In the beginning it was black bean milk, and lately it's been vegetable milk, both delicious despite how they sound. Yesterday, I didn't have enough milk to cereal ratio, so the flakes did not float. It was more like me chewing on dry bran flakes that had come in brief contact with the ounce of vegetable milk that barely covered the bottom of my bowl. It was more of a tease, for me and the flakes, but I was hungry, so I dealt. 

My breakfast is paired with juice, and I usually skip the glass, as I am the only one. 

Around three in the afternoon, when I wander over to second floor of the building my school resides, I am usually carrying a plastic container filled with a pre-packaged latte or iced coffee. It's my first coffee based beverage of the day, and though it's usually sweet, I search with each sip for that present but hidden coffee flavor. 

After work, between the hours of seven-thirty pm and eleven pm, it's ice cream, which always has liquid potential, depending on temperature. 

After that, definitely in the darkness, sometimes a beer. 

When I have actual coffee, it's sporadic and usually later in the evening, because I am outside of the coffee-less enclave of my current community, and it's findable. 

I am turning my world upside down today, liquids and all. Not only did I wake, without a watch, clock or alarm, at six-fifty-five am, I didn't go back to sleep. I was up by seven, and then I went on a walk. I decided to stop by Sun-Mart on my way back to pick up a small container of milk for the bran flakes that remained in the cereal box, as I didn't want to repeat yesterday mornings cereal incident. I got the milk, AND an iced-latte, in the MORNING. It threw me off. I did this once last week too, in the evening, but that evening it was paired with donuts which seemed to overshadow the change in behavior. Then I came home, made my cereal, AND an instant cup of coffee. 

On my walk this morning, there were a few men sitting outside that the tables of GS Mart. One was drinking water. The other a can of beer, at eight in the morning. I don't think I will take my fluid change in behavior to that level. 


No comments: