Friday, July 4, 2008

happy (I)ndependence day.

My heart skipped a little at two this afternoon. At two this afternoon, it was midnight where all of you are, my friends and family and readers. Twelve AM usually means it's the next day, and in this case, the fourth of July. For some dorkish nostalgic reason, I was looking forward to the moment when it was our nations birthday all together. So, happy Independence Day. I think this is my first one in another country, and the fact that the locals in the school's office I just talked to didn't seem near as excited with today's significance as me was a blatant reminder that I am not in the USA. And the fact that two of the three of them had no idea what I was saying. That was a reminder too.

I walked back to my apartment in a blue shirt and blue jeans, sipping my second coke out of a glass bottle, with the vintage red and white logo. I felt so patriotic.

My celebration will consist of dinner and a movie, a very American thing to do these days. The twist is that dinner will be Italian food consumed in Korea, and the movie will have Korean subtitles.

The fitting aspect of my situation would be the fact that this trip over the sea was likely made with the subconscious intention of exerting my very own independence. The adventure was a draw, of course. Reuniting in good company with a good friend was a big part. The money had much appeal as well. But underneath, knowing myself, a good portion of this journey was the chance to prove that in my independence, I could do it. I could relinquish ties to job, and exert my independence from the eight-to-five status quo. I could walk away from the comfort and stability of my beautiful life in Tulsa and make it for a few weeks in a place that I am barely known nor understood. I wanted to put ground and gravel to the statement, "I really like to travel," and in my independence, make sure the world knows that it's more than a statement. I am not sure if that's healthy or a positive thing, but it's truth, and I am a lover of truth. It also makes me think that being in a foreign country, exerting my independence, is a fitting place to be on this particular fourth of July.

Cheers.

2 comments:

m@ said...

nice product placement.

sweet housewife said...

happy 4th to you too. and although you are not here celebrating our country's independence, i definately encourage the celebration of yours! love you