Wednesday, July 16, 2008

goodbyes.

There is a time and a season for everything under the sun, they say. The time for my EC3 class ended today. This is the lowest level class I teach, and the class I have to raise my voice the most. It's also the class where I get to spend three hours with the infamous Ian.

I had to wrestle his vocabulary study sheet away from him today. He wasn't ready to stop studying, despite the fact that I was passing out the tests. I ripped the paper retrieving it from his grip. And then he growled at me. This all happened after I had to help him wrangle his head out of the sleeve area of his sleeveless shirt. He had managed, I am sure gracefully, to get it stuck there.

Getting the study guide away from him was difficult, as well as maintaining control, as I was as tickled by his obstinate way as I was frustrated by it. In the end I won, and he gave me the evil eyes.

Toward the end of class, as they were bagging their belongings to leave, I saw him over at his desk, sitting still for the first time in the entire three hour class period, writing a note and covering it with his arm. I smiled, and thought it was likely a hate letter to me given the tone of his previous growl. The boys around him giggled, looked over at me, and giggled some more.

On his way out he hands it to me, and tells me to close my eyes, while he writes something on the board. He told me to keep them closed, and he slipped away, not wanting to see my face again. The dry erase board had the words "I like you" scribbled nervously in his ten year old handwriting. The note said this:

Hi teacher! I'am Ian.
Many times you teach me.
Sometimes I'm very crazy.
I'm sorry. Today is last day.
I very sad (sad face) Meridith teacher.
Just short time but I can
learn from you so I was very happy
teacher I like you
From now on I promise you
about study. I don't play in class.
bye teacher bye teacher
If I can I will visit your house.



















Ian, I like you too.

4 comments:

Lori said...

How precious is that? A special bond has been made with a sometimes challenging little boy.

Amy said...

Oh my goodness! That is one of the sweetest things EVER.

sweet housewife said...

a true testament of the connection and impact you must have on him. what a great feeling!

Unknown said...

Man, I still remember the crush I had on my 6th grade teacher. She always wore a sun dress and smelled good. You will forever be remembered by that kid.