Saturday, July 19, 2008

finer things.

I wish I had the ability to step out of a moment, and stay there at the same time, so I could see me in all of the ridiculous and mundane situations that I seem to find myself. If I could have looked at myself sitting alone in a Pizza Hut in South Korea today, where the only English words that are understood are pepperoni and pepsi max, and the majority of communication happens by the pointing of my finger, I am sure I would half cried laughing tears. It really was quite funny to me. So was the fact that I spent thirteen dollars today on a personal pan pizza. I didn't want to risk the addition of corn (why I went to a name I could trust), and I really wanted pizza.

My waitress seemed a bit perturbed that I did not want the shrimp pizza concoction with onions and green peppers that she pointed out to me. She let me know, with an exaggerated, forced, corporate sales initiative induced smile that it was "delicious". I didn't want to disappoint her, or Pizza Hut for that matter, but I don't like shrimp, and I really wanted pepperoni. 

The highlight of my meal (aside from the fresh from the oven cheesy crisp-but-not-too-crisp pepperoni pizza) came when the nice girl who was not my waitress wandered over and offered to refill my drink (with the trusty point). I know it was likely her job, but she did it with such a kind smile that it made me feel a little less out of place, and a little less alone during a solo late lunch. 

Drink refill girl: If you are single, I know a really nice man with an equally kind smile. He drives bus number twenty-two (one of them), and I think it could work. 

On my walk home, the sky was so incredible. It was stormy today...there was actual Oklahoma-like house shaking thunder! Anyway, that gave way to some really affecting clouds.

The clouds on my left were a beautiful tragic mix of blues, moody violets and deep grays, as if to remind those that took the time to look up from their painful distractions that they aren't the only ones. And if they took the time to look to their right, at the other side of the sky, they would have seen the brightness of the sun peaking its way through the clouds that covered the rest of the day...The intense sun rays against the odds of the clouds that were trying to keep them from getting through, reminding us that we have so damn much to be thankful for. 

And finally, a remnant from my trip to Seoul last weekend, a memorable and fun moment for me...I saw a table of three taking photos of each other, and then struggling with the "let's get us all in this one" picture. I offered to take one for them, and they were so appreciative that when I finished, and went back over to my table, they ventured my way and offered to take one of us - a "gift to take with" I think they said. 


No comments: