Thursday, February 28, 2008

Sharp curves in the road.

I am here in my living room, on the internet, typing on my black macbook. Not air. I have been going through emails and deleting some I have held onto, because I like to let go of things. It's cathartic. And I found this email that I had sent to myself to save something I wrote. It's not good. That's not why I am posting it. I am posting it because of sentence eight. You can read through and try to figure out which sentence is sentence eight, or I can just tell you. Sentence eight: "I have in my head the way the rest of my years will likely look, though that usually doesn't end up happening, and I welcome sharp curves in the road." You can read the rest below, but don't feel guilty about skipping over it. I am moving onto the third paragraph.

"I would like a jet and a pilots license and enough money for fuel so that I could jump on it and escape on those days where I don't relly want to face the realty of me and would rather pretend or live vicariously through someone somewhere exotic...oh, and also, I would like to be able to visit the people I love on a whim...I will not work for someone else the rest of my life. I don't think it makes a lot of sense to have to ask someone elses permission to visit family when they are in need, and "the company's well being or funcionability in my absense" matters little to me...it's just paper (insert desired company product) and climbing someone elses ladder is entirely unappetizing. That's just me. I appreciate my family the farther along in this journey I go. I remember people telling me that is what happens when you get older, but I though I would bypass that step. The idea of family and what it has the potential to be is pretty incredible. This year has flown by faster than any of my life. I have in my head the way the rest of my years will likely look, though that usually doesn't end up happening, and I welcome sharp curves in the road...I have never been comfortable referring to other girls as "girlie" or "chick-a-dee" or "darlin" or "cutie" and I never really needed another girl to go to the bathroom with me."

Eek! I am not going to elaborate too much on this, but I have been wavering. And I think too often about what I will possibly regret in regards to what choices I make for my future, regardless of what I choose. And the point of all of the above is that I said, on September the ninth of two-thousand and six, that I welcome "sharp curves in the road". And I did indeed say that. And the possibility that I am pursuing would definitely be considered a sharp curve in the road. My sincere thought is that it is unlikely I will be able to say with confidence that I made the RiGht decision until much further down the road, when I look back and have meaningful, live giving, mind challenging, experiences to draw from. And that is the reality I face.

2 comments:

Renee Terese said...

ah, the brevity of our decisions. isn't it exciting and terrifying at the same time? i love life.

Esther said...

um. seriously. sentence eight. (sounds like a good movie title). You think I would've planned those three "hellish" years after college? :P but it makes me who I am today: ever more reliant on him and determined, acknowledging my weakness and my failures.

love it! I'm going to write an email to myself today. I think Dennis did something a few years ago - some site he referred me to where you send an email to a certain date, and it'll come into your inbox? How often have you written yourself? I mean, it's different from writing a journal entry...

gosh. tell me about it. the visiting people on a whim thing. Sometimes I feel like that is my right. I could so see myself lose a job over this because of all my absences. so far so good here... Boss asks--"do you want a PTO for those days? oh wait, you don't have any left" Sad but true: As long as I can pay the bills (and have gas money to visit friends), work comes last.

lol, if I ever hear the word "girlie" or "darlin" from you.. man. that'll be the day.

I love it! "I appreciate my family the farther along in this journey I go." I'm also realizing they love me more--the more I see who God has made me to be and following that. After the initial shock, they realize that it is good-- great.

eh hem, you have been wavering?

Love what Renee wrote: "ah, the brevity of decisions." yay for life and the responsibilities over the choices we make are given!!