Monday, December 28, 2009

favorites.

There were these two people that I happened to come upon. One was drinking coffee, and the other was making it.

Funny thing about life; we just never know. We can pray, fervently. We can hope, or expect the worst, but we just never know.

I had been gone for a short season and had returned to the same place a different person, sort of. Not different, as in not the same, but maybe just more.

So there was coffee, being drunk and made, and then there became friendship, and the sharing of lives.

There are some days, or some moments, when really, I think I know. It won't be this way, or that can't happen. I so easily forget the times things have. Happened, I mean.

So these two people, they are two of my favorites. Not in a color sort of way, like blue. Blue used to be my favorite. Now it's orange. They are my favorite in an unchanging sort of way, regardless of my favorite color.

One of my other favorites: the donut. The round fried pastries, sometimes filled and sometimes iced. They are delicious to me. These people I mentioned before invited me to share their delicious donuts this evening. When I got home, I painted my toe nails red, and thought of how I never expected these exceptional two to so fully invite me into their lives. I am reminded to be thankful for the not knowing.

1 comment:

Aimi said...

Last night on the drive home, Isaiah and I wondered if REALLY you were more excited about the DONUTS than about our return...

But the HUGE smile, tight hug, and "I'm SO GLAD you guys are home!!!!" made me sure that we actually win over donuts.

YESSSSS!!!

We love you too Mer. What would my life have been like this last year without you??????? I don't want to know.
<3