Thursday, January 21, 2010

dinnertime.

Last night our server recommended the sea bass. We wanted to split the salmon, Melinda and I, but they were out. We were sad, for a moment. The both of us. But then we read that the Sea Bass was crispy, which seemed much more exciting than just plain old grilled salmon, and all of a sudden, we were happy again!

Then he brought my wine, and whatdya know? I was thrilled.

He agreed to put the truffle oil on the side, which was kind of him, as we both dislike truffles and the taste of dirt. I don't really care if they are a delicacy. I say leave them in their delicate home, and spare us the extra six dollars that we were paying for the sea bass, likely because of this truffled delicacy. Truffle oil on the side scored him extra points.

He forgot that we had wanted the sweet potato fries instead of carrots, which meant we got sweet potato fries and carrots! Really, could this server get any better?

Yes.

We finished with the lemon tart. Oh yum. This evening was a treat...Dinner with two of my favorite couples, and me, splurging on delicious food after a really long run. Zac had a salad and the Cherry St Fry, while Liz and Chris sipped soup and salad.

Ticket time: not my favorite time. Our delightful server casually comes over to the table, bringing up the check question. As a server myself, I know this can be an awkward time. You don't want to interrupt your guests conversation, or make them feel rushed out of there, but you also don't want them to think you are ignoring them. Flubs abound. He starts off well. He isn't intrusive, or in our face, and he came at the right time. "So the two of you together," pointing to Melinda and Zac, "and the two of you together," pointing to Liz and Chris," and you all by your lonesome," pointing to me, as I ate my tart. Hello sour taste in my mouth, and hello jerk server. Didn't your mother ever tell you it's rude to point, and also, it's rude to point out that the only one flying solo this evening is "all by her lonesome"?

He followed it up with, "That's OK. It happens to the best of us".

Thank you server, for your excellent service, for recommending the sea bass and for putting the truffle oil on the side, and for bringing us some delicious sweet potato fries. Thank you for splitting our checks so well, and for keeping our water glasses full, and also, for reminding me that every moment in life does not require commentary, and sometimes it's best to keep ones mouth shut.

1 comment:

David and jill said...

Let's see here...overly accommodating, yet points out that you're alone? Definitely trying to ask you out. ;)