Monday, October 19, 2009

golden and delicious.

I got a bag of apples for free last week. They went, presumably, from a tree to the man that picked them to a friend, and then, to me. I got em at the farmer's market near my house. That sounds so trendy. I wasn't going to go. Perhaps that makes "the farmer's market near my house" sound less trendy. I didn't feel like walking over there, and at that, walking over there alone. There's something about farmer's markets that unnerve me. I know it's me supporting local, but I hate walking past a booth of veggies that this person put time and sweat and labor into, and not purchasing any. If I was a farmer, my produce would be personal. I would be proud of it. I would want others to be proud of it, too. So I am reacting to the kind of farmer I would be. That's the unnerving part. But then my friends came, which meant I wouldn't not be buying anything alone, and the "farmer's market near my house" sounded much more appealing.

What does a girl do with a bag of free farmer's market apples? Make an apple plum pie, of course!


The apple is on the right, and the plum on the left. I bought the plums at the grocery store. They probably came from Mexico. So it's not really a trendy, environmentally conscious pie, either.

2 comments:

A Nerd and A Free Spirit said...

But it looks REALLY good. OMG. I want some!!! I'm doing an apple pie post, soon. I love pies. And fall is so perfect for them. And I'm jealous that you have a farmer's market you can walk to. I tried to go to that one once and didn't realize how early it closed and there was like one booth still there. it was really depressing.

I'll have to try it again sometime. (-:

Kathryn

aimi said...

It was such a thoughtful, yummy, heartfelt pie. Just really thought it was sweet of you to make it-- for no real occasion, except that he flippantly mentioned that those apples would be tasty in a pie.
You are lovely.