Thursday, February 15, 2007

White Lillies

I got in the car yesterday and the radio was on to NPR. It was valentine's day (I know I am probably supposed to capitalize it, but I don't like giving it too much credit, so it will stay in lower case form) and I figured there would be more mushy songs on the radio than I could stomach, so it stayed on NPR. The host was interviewing Daniel Jones, editor of the book Modern Love: 50 True and Extraordinary Tales of Desire, Deceit, and Devotion - based on the Sunday New York Times Column Modern Love. They started with astory of an employer who knew a lot of personal information about his nanny (the person he trusts to take care of his children)...He knew that she had had more female partners than male, her woes of nannyhood, and that she "woke her lovers in the night by biting them"...he knew this because of her blog. It's like the anti-blog-auras of the universe were stacking against me, shamelessly wispering to my insecurities through the innocent informational facade of NPR...I had already had the wave of insecurity the night before...that feeling that I had exposed a piece of myself and should probably take a step or two back...but I am making a conscious decision not to. I am sticking with it...I will write as often as I have the courage to, and I will refrain from letting any of my future employers know that I have a blog.

I was going to say something about valentine's day, since it was yesterday, but I made a decision when I woke up Wednesday morning (I don't have a problem giving "Wednesday" credit, so you see, I capitalized it) that I would believe it was only Wednesday, and also hump day, and Lindsay Hamm's birthday and maybe it could have been independence day for one of the countries on planet earth, but that yesterday's Wednesday held no other great significance.

In other news, my uncle is going to help me buy a lap-top computer. I work for him in the afternoons. I answer the phone, play with his daughter, and occasionally clean his house...so he is going to take money out of my check each week to pay him back. It was his idea...they recently bought one from someone here in claremore who builds them for a great price, and I had mentioned that I was going to save for one when I got some looming bills paid off...I came in today and he told me of this plan. I didn't know what to say...so I just said thank you, and felt completely inadequate and ill-prepared to deal with this level of Kindness. Then I went to the bathroom and did my business and then jumped up and down and in a circle a few times. I think this would have effectively displayed my gratitude to my uncle, but it probably would have freaked him out too, and the two emotions would have canceled each other out, so I am sticking with thank you...

I am also having a hard time coming up with an appropriate title for this post, so I have decided on those occasions I am just going to think of something with a pleasant sound that brings forth an equally pleasant picture in my head and use that as the title.

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

Yay Meredith! Glad to see you have webspace. Blogs can be therapeutic, entertaining, and a creative outlet. They can also be inane, rambling, and rarely updated. I have full confidence you'll be the former. :) While this may look like a shameless plug, I welcome you to come visit mine, which while hopefully not inane, can sometimes be rambling. Ah well.
(http://trepidatious.wordpress.com)