Monday, September 21, 2009

more or less, hopefully more.

I've been thinking about thinking too much about what other people think. I remember in college, I was crippled by this very natural human tendency. My major was one that required feedback and criticisms from classmates and professors. This was supposed to make us more confident?

I have been thinking about this in context of writing, lately, too. This is something I actually enjoy. This is something I would really like to get better at. Blogging is an outlet, and a means for improvement. A stepping stone. But when I think about posting something, or how something will be received, I cower a bit. I spend more time in between posts not writing.

And so back to the part of what other people think. At this juncture, to allow myself to write, write some more, and after that, write again, I will have to try and let go a little of this "very natural human tendency". Because to improve, I must write more. It may be bad material. It may not make sense in the end. It may not come together. But there will hopefully be more words on the page than when I started, and less time not writing in between posts.