Wednesday, May 14, 2008

a trip.

The afternoon of the tenth of May, I read this:

"2. Care to come work 24 hours per week for 5 weeks starting the end of June? Many details would have to be worked out, but I'm just putting it out there? Monday - Thursday work. Friday - Sunday off. My old school - CDI. $30 / hour I think? Possible airplane fare help? I dunno. Maybe a little less per hour if they help with plane?"

The morning of the fourteenth of May, the details have been worked out. As a result, I have been bouncing around all day long.

Through all of my questioning, frustration, confusion and doubt, one thing I will always have control over: my choices. And when my mind is open, and opportunities walk up the steps of my porch, past my flower bed, I can invite them in to sit a while on my old couch. I work at a job I can walk away from to experience an adventure like this, and that I can walk back to when I am done. Some would say it's a sign of immaturity. I say it's a sign of smarts, and knowing oneself.

On Sunday afternoon, I began to dig up the soil in the flower bed across my current floral canvas. My mom had given me a few packets of mixed wildflowers that do well in partial shade. I raked up the mulch that had been blocking the soil from the sun, and, with intention, disrupted the soil so that the seeds would have a home to fall into. In the packet were flowers of every kind and color, and I started to get excited about the process of waiting for them to bloom. The purple paper package said they should bloom in fifty to seventy days, which is right in the heart of the time I will be spending in Korea.

What is so wonderful about this whole missing-of-the-wildflower scenario I find myself in? The people in my life. I shall be missing their blooms whilst seeing someone I adore, and while I am gone from my home and gardens, another person that I adore will be sending me photographs of the colored plants blooming from the ground. Stuck between two wonderful worlds of people that I love, with adventure waiting for me on the way there, and flowers waiting for me to return, is an exceptional place to find myself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Where are you going?