Friday, December 24, 2010

destiny.

When I was in college not figuring out what I wanted to do, they said I had to have an internship to graduate. I was finishing up a major in a line of study that I was pretty confident I wouldn't pursue. The idea of pretending through a summer my mock future that wasn't ever going to be my real future seemed to have something to do with the core of what's wrong with our higher education system. I found some guy that had a graphic design studio in his attic who said I could follow him around and maybe get his coffee, and also agreed to sign the necessary documents. His name was Mick and he'd been doing it for a long time, and when he asked me what I really wanted to do, I said something along the lines of, "I don't know. I just want to help people."

Here I have been, spending my time waiting tables, pointing to shelves, ringing up purchases, refilling glasses; Via customer service and much to my own dismay, I have spent the past few years, uh, helping people.