Saturday, July 31, 2010

tunes.

My friend Isaiah, a music snob who has introduced me to life changing music and once in a lifetime musical experiences, said that Alexi Murdoch bores him. Or maybe it was Jose Gonzalez. I can't remember now. So don't quote him on that. Said music snob will be tearing up the drums with savage young in Tulsa Town in a few hours. Tomorrow morning he'll be tearing them up at church, like he does every Sunday. And most of the people I know in previously mentioned city will be attending the music festival, which sprung up in reaction to a different music festival being cancelled.

This music thing, it's a big deal.

My last few days have been some of my least favorite since being here. When I would tell people where I was going and what I was doing, back in the time when I was living in the city of the music festival, I would follow the details with how excited I was. And then I would say something like, "It will be difficult too, you know? Uprooting myself from this lovely cocoon I've created for myself. But I am ready for the difficult." I was speaking on the telephone to the dear Tonia, who introduced me to Joze Gonzales, and told her that yesterday was that day I described back in Tulsa. It was that, "It will be hard, too" day.

And that's been the theme here lately, though it's not the place. What happens has everything to do with the way I am seeing things, and for whatever combination of reasons (I could name many), I've been looking through a bleak lens, instead of one that's clean, and clear, and most evident of the good.

So the antidote most often is a run, which happened today. And then, it's music.

The voice of Alexi Murdoch was the clincher today. Wikepedia said that critics have said, "Murdoch has an earnest, comforting voice and conversational, emotional delivery." In Lieu of the cocoon of close friends nearby, comforting me with their presence, conversation, and emotional understanding, the voice of a stranger captured in a recording studio some years ago is a really helpful substitute, and today, has cleared the lens to bring the goodness of this season to the forefront of my mind.

3 comments:

allison said...

before reading this post, I had never heard of Alexi Murdoch. I owe you a great debt.

meredith. said...

this brings me joy.

aimi said...

Ugh. I haven't missed Tulsa much til the last couple of weeks -- because of the lack of live indie music here, or anywhere within 8-10 hours from here. BOO. Wish the music in my ears could comfort me in the way it comforts you; instead it reminds me that music in my ears is just not the same as music pulsing through my thorax and enveloping my limbs.

Oh Tulsa. Coffee and music.