Tuesday, July 28, 2009

why I don't love walgreens.

I spent my evening rearranging my living room slash bedroom and also, purchasing necessities. Soap, shampoo, toilet paper, etc. This is a very difficult task for me. I have been without shampoo for over a week. I haven't had the gumption. It is not because I am lazy. Well, not entirely. I think it's because the trip becomes about so much more than shampoo, toilet paper and nail polish remover. Choices are necessary, and I am not equipped with enough information. Do I spend more on Shampoo because it's in the designer shampoo bottle and claims to make my hair shine enough to inspire romance, or do I even need shampoo? Tonight I was faced with the light bulb's moral dilemma. Do I purchase the energy efficient bulb that's also twice as much and toxic if broken? Or do I purchase the cheaper soft white bulb that threatens to sink the state of Florida each time I switch on the light? I am in need of a calculator each time I face the little Charmin guy, as I must not simply trust the advertisers' claims of two-ply double roll goodness. I have to see how many feet each roll actually is, divide the square feet and the ply by the price, and then decide. I would not sleep well it I discovered I had been swindled by the toilet paper industry of America.

The whole exercise leads to emotional exhaustion. I usually have some color of eye-make-up amongst my purchases that I, in no way, need. Because of this, and the "necessities", I also have spent what I make in a day, in a painful and agonizing forty-five minutes. 

When I returned home, to the coziness of my living room's new arrangement, I took the time to put things away. The silver bar in my bathroom became un-bare. I placed my pretty red bottles of shampoo (that happened to be buy one get one free) in my shower, and looked forward to my hair smelling clean once again. I twisted my light bulbs into their appropriate places. From that came more light. I am reminded while typing this that pushing through those unenjoyable tasks almost always leads to something sorta worth it. Tonight, it's the joy of having toilet paper within reach.

In other (exciting!) news, my fortune this evening cautioned me to not be surprised by the emergence of undiscovered talents. What could they be?!

1 comment:

allison said...

this is true.

my struggle is not with the shampoo, but toilet paper swindlers? yes. The moral dilemma of light bulbs? yes. spending what I make in a day in an agonizing 45 minutes? definitely.

the effect is that every few days I redefine necessities.