Friday, July 3, 2009

la la la la la.

Last night, at around ten thirty in the evening, I fulfilled a life-long dream. The previous sentence was a slight exaggeration. But only slight. Though I was not dreaming about performing karaoke in diapers, I did want to be a country singer at the age of five. I have also been practicing Bonnie Raitt's "Something to Talk About" in my car for a few years, in preparation for what took place on the stage. 

The evening began with free drinks and food at a masquerade sort of ball. I dug my heels out of my closet's back corner, wiped off the dust, and threw that dress on. You know the one. I was planning on using my imagination, as if I was walking into the scene of a movie. I tried, but to no avail. The heels and mask were not sharp enough to cut through the thick and cumbersome stuffiness of the other guests in attendance. What do girls do when all dressed up, stuck at a lame party? Karaoke. 

Lenny's is a dive. It's a hole in the wall located inside a Trade Winds Motel. The Bar Back was a feisty Korean woman, that both men and women envy, and fear. Cash is a regular and a pimp, which was mostly just really sad to me. I had been warned about the characters, which made me think that Lenny's would be just the place for my shiny black stilettos. It would also display with much class my sincere desire to perform. This trait pairs well with my excessive lack of talent, making karaoke an ideal Meredith activity.

As previously mentioned, I had been practicing my song for a number of years. Upon reaching the bar with the notebook holding the list of songs, my heart skipped a little in fear that they wouldn't have my tune. I may have actually squealed when I read it on the page. 

My name was on the list, next to song 98-02. I ran to my seat with excitement, still devoid of nervousness. 

After telling someone this story, they asked if I was drunk. The answer is a resounding no, and I was resoundingly sober. After thinking about the question, I began to realize the karaoke is often associated with drunkenness, and late nights. It starts to get crazy fun the longer the evening lasts, as the patrons have gotten a little more tipsy, and gutsy. The crowd has loosened up too, making it more of an interactive experience. 

I went up to the stage in the middle of a lull, and at the beginning of the evening . I gave my intro speech, tore the microphone from its stand, and sang my heart out, attempting high notes, key changes and all. My energizing and gut wrenching performance received a sea of blank stares from the bodies occupying seats in front of me. I was not phased. 

I grew last night. I fulfilled a goal, took a risk and friends, (thanks to Lenny) I have fallen in love. With karaoke. 

Future Song Suggestions?

1 comment:

David and jill said...

Oh man, I wish I could've been there for THAT.

PS--Can you send me your mailing address?