Tuesday, March 17, 2009

efterklang.

I saw a real band last night. I saw them right after watching some other guys in a band play music. The (first) guys in the band had pretty vocals and a trendy guitar. They made me want to move my feet a few times, to the left and the right. But they were empty. The BAND that followed was something all together different.  

I have never ever been musical. The only instrument I have attempted playing was a handbell, and only that because I knew how to count. 1·2·3 ding! I do, however, attempt to seek out authentic and sincere people in my life. This is a language I sort of understand. And even though I can't tell you how good the musicians were last night in a technical sense, I can tell you that they were sweating sincerity from their pores. This paved the way for one of the most authentic and phenomenal musical experiences of my life. 

The beauty in what they were offering us transcended the purely musical, and flowed into they why behind all the things we humans do. The experience left me shaken, jarred. I saw plain old regular people play the most affecting beautiful music I have ever heard live, with so much intuition and precision, authenticity and gratitude. This made me want to be a better person. 

I don't wish for them "success" overpriced oversized stadium sense. But the world needs to hear their music

1 comment:

Bethany said...

Yea for good music. Do you know about pandora.com? It has really changed my life. You should check it out. I think you will love it.

That said, we should also talk. I happen to like you. A lot.