Friday, September 26, 2008

pay-day.

Two things I overheard people saying this week:

At First Watch, a breakfast eatery in South Tulsa flooded with senior citizens, by a man amongst a group of men with silver hair filing to the back of the cafe, "Is someone sitting at our table?". And then, from one man to another with a cane, "how are you feeling this morning, Sid?"

At planned parenthood, from a young girl with flames on her tank top, as she filled out the mandatory forms, to her boyfriend, whose pants were struggling to stay above his waist, "Am I trying to get pregnant?" And later, when the boy ran into an old friend, the friend said, while doing the informal hand shake that ends as if the hands were sling shots, "Punk, what have you been up to?" to which the boyfriend replies, "well, I just got out of prison last month..." 

Three things I have passed over on the road or highway in the past twenty-four hours:

Last night, a metal ladder, lying diagonal in between two lanes of traffic, on a highway filled with six lanes of traffic. 

A few miles later, a brown boot. 

And this morning, on my way to work, a twin mattress abandoned on a sidewalk under an overpass. There was no one taking advantage of its comfort. 

I have to say, I am continuing to enjoy the benefits of not having to pay for my coffee. The honey wheat bagel I ate this morning was delicious. My right eye continues to twitch, a symptom of either lack of sleep or stress. In my case, I think it's both, as stress has inhibited my ability to get a good night's sleep. I think that's a conundrum, and I think today will be a good day. 



No comments: